Friday, February 25, 2011

22/02/2011

We didn't have internet access while we were staying with Naoto's mom, but now that we are in Tokyo, we are re-connected with the cyber world.  I think that was my longest stretch without the internet since the late 90s...
We arrived Tuesday night, after that 13 hour flight and 3 hours of train rides.  I am sure I looked like a wreck, but my mother-in-law welcomed me with a genuine smile and open arms.  She ordered sushi and made me a bath while we waited for it to arrive.  In her bathroom (which is separate from the little room with the toilet), there is a little area to shower off and cleanse first, before you get into the amazingly deep soaking tub full of hot water and aromatherapy bath salts.  There was no better way to end a long trip that with this hot bath.  I must have stayed inside a little too long though, because she thought I fell asleep in there.  Our futon was prepared for us when we got to her house, and even though sleep was tempting me, the sushi was tempting me more.  It was the most amazing sushi I’ve ever eaten—so fresh and the rice was perfectly seasoned & sticky!  I think we went to bed around 7am, and I woke up a few times throughout the night, but I slept well, even though the sleeping situation was very different than in America.  There are no guest bedrooms in Japanese apartments, just futons, several pads stacked up on the floor with giant fluffy blankets on top, on the living room floor.  It gets very cold in Japanese houses at night, so the blankets keep you nice & toasty.  It took a little getting used to, but it's almost as cozy as a bed :) 
Ok, more tomorrow.  It's only 10:30pm here, but Naoto & I are both dragging after our second marathon train trip in four days...I hope to upload some pictures, too.  Off to watch some Japanese TV! 

No comments:

Post a Comment