Friday, February 25, 2011

23/02/2011



On Wednesday, we started the day with broiled salmon & rice.  Maybe it was the time difference or the fact that I’ve been here before so I was expecting it, but I didn’t bat an eye at eating fish for breakfast.

After breakfast, we went to the post office, right across the street from my mother-in-law’s building.  I bought plenty of Hello Kitty stamps for my postcards.  Can you believe Hello Kitty has a stamp?!  The post office ladies might have been surprised to see a white girl buying stamps, so they gave me a blue rabbit toothpick holder—so sweet! 

Then, we went shopping to the outdoor market and the drugstore.  I have a huge weakness for Japanese Biore products that might have to be discussed in another post.








The next stop was Mister Donut, the Japanese version of Dunkin Donuts.  Japanese donuts are far superior to American ones.  They are lighter and less sweet.  I tried a cocoa donut with chocolate frosting and a glazed donut and my mother-in-law had a potato-filled donut.  She also ordered a Coke, which made me laugh.  At Mister Donut (MisDo for short), the coffee is served in tiny red cups and the donuts come on actual plates.  It’s a nice change from the paper bag my American donut comes in.  The servers also come to your table and offer you refills, too J 





After MisDo, we took Naoto to the barber for a haircut.  It was nice to take him to someone who knows how to cut his Japanese hair.  Hirase-san, the barber, offered my mother-in-law green tea while we waited for him to work his magic on Naoto.  He got a haircut, a shave and an ear-cleaning (gross, I know).  Hirase-san used many, many hot towels (seriously—about 20) through the process and made Naoto’s skin soft with lotions.  Naoto looked like a new man when we left. 

After the hair cut, we went to eat Chinese food.  We had fried rice with pork & shrimp, cashew chicken and sweet & sour pork.  While Naoto & his mom enjoyed a beer, I had a cocktail that was lychee (a Chinese fruit that tastes kind of pear-ish but feels grape-ish) liquor, grapefruit juice and tonic water—so refreshing! 

Next, we went to a mall where there was a huge stationery store, Loft.  I have another weakness for Japanese office supplies...cute & functional.  After so much walking around, my mother-in-law was worn out, so we came back to her apartment and relaxed. 

Naoto & I ventured back out after dark to buy some drinks at Lawson’s, a convenience store.  There we found peach juice, a canned cocktail (alcohol in a can that is not beer??!!) and Happy Turn 200%.  Happy Turn is my favorite Japanese snack.  It is like nothing in the US and it is impossible to place what the taste is.  There is normal Happy Turn, Happy Turn 100% and Happy Turn 200%.  100% has one hundred percent MORE flavoring powder and 200% has two hundred percent more…you can imagine how flavorful this snack is!  Once we got home, the time difference was catching up with us, and the amount of walking was catching up with my mother-in-law.  We all were asleep by 7pm!    

No comments:

Post a Comment