Sunday, February 20, 2011

the night before meeting, and all through the house...



Tomorrow, after a thirteen hour flight and a three hour train ride, I will finally meet my mother-in-law.  


I've been married for five years to my Japanese husband, who has lived in America since he was twelve.  He grew up in Hawaii with a host family (whom I've met) while the rest of his family (mom & three sisters) stayed in Japan.  My mother-in-law was unable to make it to our wedding because she was ill and unable to travel such a long distance.  Fast-forward almost five very busy years (during which we each traveled to Japan separately) and we are finally, FINALLY going on a family-filled tour of Japan.  


So, today I am getting ready, packing bags full of gifts for everyone we will/might see.  I made the journal (pictured above) for my mother-in-law.  I used a beautiful tulip print because tulips are grown in her prefecture (state), Niigata.  I hope she likes it :)  


As soon as we have internet access in Japan, I will report back.  My first worry (of a long, long list of many other worries) is that I am going to be meeting her after the thirteen hour flight and the three hour train ride...I am going to feel so jet-lagged and look oh so gross!  I have an emergency-refreshening kit ready to go in my carry-on, but a comb, toothbrush & make-up can only help so much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment